Support, strategies, and tools delivered by a qualified online counselor wherever you are.
- Qualified + Licensed + Experienced Online Therapists
- Practical tools and strategies that actually make a difference.
- Easy-to-Use Online Counseling Platform with nothing to download and no login to remember.
- Secure + Confidential + HIPPA Compliant Counseling
- Online counseling is an affordable alternative to in-person therapy
- Spend less time sitting in traffic and in waiting rooms.
- Easier, more convenient access to your online therapist.
Choose Your Therapist
Review Bios & Watch Their Intro Videos To Find An Online Therapist Who Fits Your Needs
Schedule An Appointment
Find A Time And Day That Works For You. Schedule Online Or Over The Phone.
Your Online Therapy Happens From Wherever You Are In A Way That Works For You.
Online Therapy FAQS
While you might answer all your questions here, these are some common ones we get about online counseling.
If you still have questions about online counseling, send us your questions and we’ll get you answers ASAP.
What is Online Therapy?
Online Therapy (or Telehealth) allows you and your therapist to connect anywhere with secure and convenient appointments that save you time and hassle. There’s no need to deal with traffic, scheduling hours off of work, etc. when you can schedule and attend your appointments directly from a laptop or mobile device.
During times where coming into the office may be difficult or inconvenient, Online Therapy allows you to continue your positive momentum in therapy and minimizes interruptions to change.
Is Online Therapy private and confidential?
Just like a face-to-face appointment, your Online Therapy visit will be private and confidential. We use a HIPAA compliant video-calling platform so your session is protected and kept confidential. The platform uses all of the most up to date security protocols, as well as encryption software that keeps your Online Therapy session secure.
Is Online Therapy effective?
Yes. Online Therapy therapy has been shown to be effective and comparable to in-person sessions. It is associated with positive outcomes across a wide range of issues. Online Therapy also offers several advantages over in-person therapy, including connivence and greater access to care. (See these sources for more information: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5723163/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662387/)
Don’t you miss important interactions you get face to face?
While there are certainly differences than in-person therapy, Online Therapy does not miss much. There is still face-to-face interaction and an ability for your therapist to notice non-verbal cues. Online Therapy also allows for a more focused conversation and your therapist is trained to be able to utilize Online Therapy in the most effective way possible. If after a couple of sessions you are still uncomfortable with the platform, your therapist can also help you find ways to engage and feel more at ease.
What equipment do I need?
To participate in Online Therapy appointments from your home, you will need one of the following devices:
- Desktop computer with a webcam and speakers OR
- Laptop computer with built-in webcam and speakers OR
- Tablet device with built-in webcam and speakers, OR
- Smartphone with at least iOS 10 or Android 7.0
(Note: To use a smartphone, you must first download Online Therapy by SimplePractice – available for iOS or Android in the app store.)
- You will also need an internet connection that supports streaming services. Note: We recommend using the Pre-call Tool to check your internet connection.
- Note: It is recommended that your desktop or laptop computer have at least a 2.5 GHz processor, and 4 GB of RAM
Do I have to download another app and have another log in and password?
Not at all! Every session a new secure link is generated and sent to you. There is no need to log in, remember a password, or bookmark a specific website.
You can still schedule through our client portal but there is no need to log in to the portal for your Online Therapy session.
*Note: If you wish to utilize a smart phone for the call, you will need to download Online Therapy by SimplePractice – available for iOS or Android in the app store. But no additional login or password will be required.
What is SimplePractice and can they be trusted?
SimplePractice, LLC the practice management software used by Mathews Counesling, PLLC for scheduling, case management, and Online Therapy, and therapy notes. SimplePractice, LLC, uses a HIPAA compliant software so your information will be securely stored and kept confidential. They use all of the most up to date security protocols, as well as encryption software that keeps your Online Therapy session secure.
Will the appointments be recorded?
None of our appointments will ever be recorded or stored.
Can couples therapy be done via Online Therapy?
Yes! Couples therapy can be done via Online Therapy and, in fact, we have seen great success with our couples through this format. For some people it may take a little time to get use to the format but within a session or two, most forget the computer is even there.
Is Online Therapy more expensive than in-person therapy?
In the vast majority of cases, no. If you are a self-pay client, you will see no change in fee. If you utilize your insurance, it will depend on your plan. Most plans offer Online Therapy benefits similar to in-person therapy and most clients pay the same co-pay.
Please note: During the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of insurance providers are expanding Online Therapy benefits for all of their plans.
What happens the day of the session?
If you are using a desktop or laptop computer
If you plan to use a desktop or laptop, there is nothing to download prior to your appointment. Here are the steps to join:
- Approximately 10 minutes before your appointment, you’ll receive an email appointment reminder.
- Note: If you have already consented to receiving text and/or email reminders, you will continue to receive them for Online Therapy appointments as well. For new clients, make sure you have provided your email and or mobile phone number so that Your therapistcan enable email or text reminders.
- Click the unique link embedded in the reminder. You may have to copy and paste the link into your web browser if clicking the link does not work. Your video call screen will now open in a new tab.
- If your therapist has already joined the call, you will see their face on the screen. If they have not, you will see yourself, as shown below.
- You will also see the Welcome prompt. Click Play test sound to test the your camera and microphone settings.
- When you are ready, click Join Video Call. This will take you straight into the video call.
Tip: For information about enabling camera and microphone access, please see: How to enable camera and microphone access for Telehealth.
Using a smartphone or tablet
If you plan to use a mobile device, here are the steps to join:
- Download Online Therapy by SimplePractice (for iOS or Android) in the app store. Approximately 10 minutes before your appointment, you should receive an email appointment reminder.
- Open the reminder email on your device and click the unique link. This will open the Online Therapy by SimplePractice app.
- If your therapist has already joined the call, you will see their face on the screen. If they have not, you will see yourself.
- When you are ready, click Join Video Call. This will take you straight into the video call.
Note: There may be a slight delay for your therapist to join the appointment if they are finishing with a previous appointment. Please be patient and they will join momentarily.
How should I prepare my space for my Online Therapy appointment?
- Identify a suitable room that is quiet, private, and free of distractions.
- To keep background noise to a minimum, make sure to close any doors, shut windows, turn off the television, and keep loud pets in another room if possible.
What should I do if I didn’t get the reminder with the link?
Contact our office or email your therapist if you did not get the link and they can send it to you via email or secure messaging.
Therapy was terrifying at first. But not feeling judged was extremely helpful. Previous therapists felt rather remote and disconnected. Here, I got some input into practical steps I can take to change my perspective. That is critically important. I feel calmer. More at peace. I still struggle, but I can recognize that for what it is.
After seeing several counselors elsewhere, this was the first time I felt genuinely heard and understood. My therapist's approach challenged me while uplifting me. He regularly affirmed me and all the places that I most hated myself, and has genuinely challenged me to hold a better view of myself than I ever have.
I guess around the third or fourth session when I actually started opening up about things I’ve never told anybody even previous therapists was when I realized that this counseling was working. Also, my therapist regularly asks me questions that have shaken my worldview and cause me to leave re-thinking so much about myself and how I have worth.
I think I am more honest with myself than I’ve ever been and I am experiencing greater freedom because of that.
I felt like I received practical handles on how to process the patterns in which I was thinking. Therapy broke down all walls and got to the actual issue that drives a lot of my dysfunction.
I loved my experience at Mathews Counseling.
Everything about therapy at Mathews Counseling has been different. The approach, openness, honesty. Not pushing solutions or prescribing anything has been very different from other places.
I was hesitant at first because there is such a stigma about mental health and going to a therapist. Once I began sessions with my therapist at Mathews Counseling, however, that feeling quickly went away.
Life is honest now. Life is listening to myself but examining what I am saying before taking action, or before passing judgment on others or myself. Therapy has meant laying down the weapons in the war I was choosing to wage and realizing love, peace, and honesty is available for me.
It feels great to have someone to listen, to hash things out with and to give feedback or be a sounding board on where I was and where I was headed. I'm as whole and authentic as I've ever been in life.